Sunday, June 24, 2012

Army General on Hippogriff

Well, a wingless one, to be precise...


I pulled the wings off the D&D prepainted mini, filled up the gaps with putty, and added a saddle-cloth and strap made with some foil.

I like the way the eyes were painted on the original mini, so I placed blobs of blu-tac over them before priming the mini so I could preserve them.

The hippogriff fits squarely on a standard cavalry base (without its wings), and I plan to field it as a warhorse. The rider doesn't really fit onto the back - there's a little gap -but that is probably as well since he would otherwise sit a bit lower than a moutned figure on a horse.

The figure on foot is the dismounted version of the same character. Neither one is particularly flamboyant compared to the Warhammer figures, but I guess that's what you get when you use historical figures. The general will be fielded in a unit with other knights including the army standard an a musician, so hopefully as a unit they will look more impressive.


7 comments:

Dan said...

Good looking general, if you take him off, and add a saddle made from green stuff, that will fill in the gap, and make it look natural.

captain arjun said...

Thanks, Dan.

I struggled a bit with putty before I decided to just use the foil. :(

Maxamillian said...

Impressive general, should look great with a unit of perry knights!

Simon Quinton said...

Nicely converted mini. Are these a legal unit nowadays. As I've seen something similar on another blog. Where someone had a unit of them

captain arjun said...

The official unit is the demigryph knights, which ride wingless griffons and are each on a 50mm x 75mm base.

They are quite the rage these days and there are forum discussions on conversions and proxies.

fatgoblin said...

looks pretty cool! Gap's a bit odd but I figure its not noticable during game play since we look down from above. The mount's pose is awesome :)

captain arjun said...

It's a very nice figure. :)