Friday, October 25, 2013

Of Gods and Mortals


After a 5-month wait, my copy of OGAM arrived today.

Despite having learnt and played a few games of SOBH, I am not ready to play OGAM yet as there are some differences between the two systems, particularly in the melee resolution part.

The interplay between gods and mortals adds a level of strategy to the game, which I think will take some practice for a player to become good at.

Anyway, the first thing I did was to look at the army lists, and come up with lists for my forces.

So far, I've got:

Celtic

God

Balor of the Evil Eye - 304 pts

Legends

Bres (as Ferdiad) - 70 pts

Druidess - 54 pts

2 Fomorian champions (as werewolves) - 160 pts

Mortals

Unit of 8 Fomorian Warriors - 136 pts

Unit of 8 Fomorian Archers (using Celtic archer stats) - 176 pts

Total = 900 pts


Norse List 1A

God

Odin with Gungir - 380 pts

Legends

Norn - 30 pts

2 Valkyries with Flying - 180 pts

Mortals

Unit of 7 Dwarven Nobles - 154 pts

Unit of 6 Dwarven Armoured Archers - 150 pts

Total = 894 pts


Norse List 1B

God

Odin with Gungir - 380 pts

Legends

Norn - 30 pts

Geri or Freki (as Fenrir) - 104

Mortals

Unit of 8 Dwarven Nobles - 176 pts

Unit of 8 Dwarven Armoured Archers - 200 pts

Total = 890 pts

I decided Odin should get the Prophecy advantage given by the Norn because he drank from the well of Mimir...


Norse List 2

God

Thor - 376 pts

Legends

Dwarf Champion (as Valkyrie) - 70 pts

Dvergar Weapon Smith - 50 pts

Mortals

Unit of 8 Dwarven Warriors - 120 pts

Unit of 8 Dwarven Warriors - 120 pts

Unit of 8 Dwarven Rangers - 160 pts

Total = 896 pts

The Thor list is difficult since I can't really add most of the Legends as Thor cannot take Giants, and I don't think it's thematic for Valkyries to be fielded with non-noble Dwarven warriors, but as I must take 1 to 5 Legends, and the bonus from the Dvergar Smith is wasted if I take only him, I am sort of forced to take a Valkyrie-proxy.

Egyptian List

God

Set - 356 pts

Legends

1 Greater Mummy - 86 pts

Mortals

Unit of 8 Egyptian Elite Warriors - 152 pts

Unit of 8 Egyptian Elite Archers - 192 pts

Unit of 6 Mummies - 108 pts

Total = 894 pts


Trojan List

God

Apollo - 380 pts

Legends

Hector (as Achilles) - 108 pts

Aeneus (as Armoured Greek Hero) - 70 pts

Sarpedon on chariot (as Mounted Greek Hero) - 86 pts

Mortals

Unit of 6 Trojan Spearmen - 120 pts

Unit of 6 Trojan Archers - 120 pts

Total = 884 pts


Well, those are the plans anyway.

I'll see if I can get a review of the rules up in the near future.

2 comments:

danmer said...

Good stuff ... I'm interested to know if you have a model you're intending using for Balor? I'm trying to work out suitable models for various Celt gods without much success...

captain arjun said...

Dan,

My Balor is here:

http://corblogme.blogspot.sg/2013/07/balor-kin-of-fomorians.html

I hope to be able to get a solo game tomorrow.