Sunday, June 11, 2017

Have Dice, Will Travel (for RPG)


A couple of my new players in the Space Opera RPG I am currently running are also GMs on the Meetup group, and I have attended a couple of games in the past few weeks, and will be attending another one on RPG Day (17 June).

I like to use my own (Gamescience) dice, and I wanted a way to bring them around that wouldn't rattle or damage them, so I googled around and decided I wanted to make myself one of those fancy wooden RPG carrying cases that doubled as a dice tray and pencil case.

Unfortunately, the only good-looking wooden boxes at the local art store were those that came as part of water-colour or pastel sets that cost around S$70, which was more than I was prepared to spend.

Then I saw a plastic "bits" box at a general store that was about the right size (21cm x 15cm) and came with customisable partitions. I bought the box, a sheet of black rubber foam, and after trying a few configurations came up with this:


It can hold a 7-dice polyhedral set plus 2d6, or plus 1 extra d20 and d6 (for D&D 5E games), a few pencils and an eraser, and a post-it note pad. If you don't mind folding a character sheet, that can fit inside the box too. The bottom and inside lid of the box are lined with rubber foam so the the large compartment can serve as a dice tray and the dice won'y rattle when the box is closed. The box clips shut securely, which is important.

It's not as fancy as one of those custom-built wooden RPG boxes, but it's light-weight, compact, and cheap.

No comments: